Attention all dessert lovers! Have you tried the mouthwatering Apple Cranberry Crisp with Polenta Streusel Topping? This delectable dessert is a perfect combination of tart apples, and juicy cranberries, and is topped with a crunchy polenta streusel. Every bite is a burst of flavor that will leave you craving for more. It’s a sweet treat that’s perfect for any occasion or just an indulgent treat for yourself. So go ahead and treat your taste buds to this irresistible dessert!
Ingredients for Apple Cranberry Crisp with Polenta Streusel Topping
Yield: 8 Servings
TOPPING for Apple Cranberry Crisp with Polenta Streusel Topping
1 teaspoon aniseed
11/2 cups pastry flour
3/4 cup polenta (coarse cornmeal)*
1/2 cup sugar
11/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 large egg, beaten to blend
FILLING for Apple Cranberry Crisp with Polenta Streusel Topping
2 cups fresh cranberries
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
11/2 teaspoon finely grated orange peel
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 Pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch cubes
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Vanilla gelato or ice cream
Toast aniseed in a small skillet over medium heat until slightly darker in color, about 3 minutes. Place seeds in processor. Add the next 5 ingredients; blend for 5 seconds. Add butter; blend, using on/off turns, until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Drizzle egg over and stir until ingredients are evenly moistened.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Combine the first 8 ingredients in a large bowl; stir to blend. Add apples and lemon juice; toss to blend. Transfer filling to 11x7x2- an inch glass baking dish (or other shallow 2-quart baking dishes).
Crumble topping finely over-filling. Bake dessert until apples are tender, juices bubble thickly, and topping is crisp and golden about 1 hour. Cool for 15 minutes. Serve crisp and warm with gelato.
FAQs for Apple Cranberry Crisp with Polenta Streusel Topping
1. Can I use other fruits besides apples and cranberries in this recipe?
– Yes, you can definitely use pears, peaches, or any berries you like. Just make sure to adjust the sugar level accordingly.
2. Can I use regular flour instead of polenta for the streusel topping?
– Yes, you can swap the polenta with all-purpose flour for a more traditional streusel topping.
3. Can I make this Apple Cranberry Crisp with Polenta Streusel Topping recipe ahead of time and store it in the fridge?
– Yes, you can assemble the crisp ahead of time and keep it in the fridge for up to 2 days before baking. Just make sure to cover it tightly with plastic wrap to prevent the topping from getting soggy.
4. Can I use frozen fruits for this recipe?
– Yes, you can use frozen fruits, but make sure to thaw and drain them before using in the recipe.
5. Can I skip the nuts in the topping?
– Yes, you can skip the nuts if you or your family members have allergies or if you simply don’t like them.
6. Can I use a different sweetener instead of sugar?
– Yes, you can use honey, maple syrup, or any other sweetener you prefer. Just adjust the amount accordingly to your desired level of sweetness.
7. Can I use a different type of butter for the topping?
– Yes, you can use regular unsalted butter or any vegan butter substitute that you prefer.
8. Can I make this recipe in individual servings instead of a large baking dish?
– Yes, you can make this recipe in ramekins or baking cups for individual servings. Just adjust the baking time accordingly.
9. Can I serve this dessert with a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream?
– Yes, you can definitely serve this dessert with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for extra indulgence.
10. Can I use this recipe as a base for other types of crisp or crumble desserts?
– Yes, you can use the basic recipe for the topping and adjust the fruit filling to make other types of crisp or crumble desserts.