As the leaves start to change and the air becomes crisp, there’s nothing more comforting than a warm and hearty meal. This Creamy polenta with roasted oyster mushroom gravy is the perfect dish to satisfy your autumn cravings. The creamy texture of the polenta pairs perfectly with the savory and earthy flavor of the roasted oyster mushrooms in the rich gravy. It’s a cozy and delicious way to welcome the new season.
Indulge in the creamy goodness of polenta, a classic Italian dish made from cornmeal, and elevate it to new heights with the umami-rich flavors of Creamy polenta with roasted oyster mushroom gravy. This dish is not only delicious but also vegetarian, making it a perfect option for those looking for meatless meal ideas.
This creamy Vegan Polenta with Roasted Mushrooms is incredible with oyster mushrooms! Try this gluten-free polenta for an easy weeknight dinner that’s ready in thirty minutes. It’s a delicious dish for date night, too!
- 16 oz. oyster mushrooms
- Olive oil
- 2⅓ cups water
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ tsp. sea salt, plus extra
- 2 oz. goat cheese
- 5 tbsp. salted butter, separated
- 1 small sprig of rosemary
- Grated Cheese
Everyday Spices – Check Latest Price
Prepare the oyster mushrooms by brushing them lightly to clean them. Remove the base, and slice the mushrooms into bite-size pieces.
- Preheat your oven to 450°F. Separate oyster mushrooms into bite-sized pieces and place them in one layer on a large, rimmed cookie sheet.
- Toss with olive oil and sea salt to taste. Roast for about 15 minutes, or until browned and crispy, flipping mushrooms halfway through.
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Whisk in cornmeal, being sure to get rid of any lumps, and lower the heat to a simmer. Add a tablespoon of butter and a ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Cover and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, or until polenta is thickened and soft, stirring often. Take off the heat, stir in goat cheese, and season to taste.
- To make the brown butter, melt the remaining butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add rosemary once the butter starts to foam.
- Immediately take off the heat when milk solids start to turn brown, like a chestnut color. Discard rosemary.
- To plate, ladle polenta into warmed bowls. Top off with roasted mushrooms and drizzle brown butter on top. Finish with grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and serve immediately.
HOW MUCH LIQUID?
Depending on how fine or coarse the polenta is ground, the cooking time will vary for this Creamy polenta with roasted oyster mushroom gravy.
SUBSTITUTIONS for Creamy Polenta with Roasted Oyster Mushroom Gravy
- Oyster mushrooms – you can try roasting other wild mushrooms such as chanterelle or shiitake mushrooms, or baby Bellas.
You can combine them, or choose one type of mushroom. Pan-sautéed or pan-fried lion’s mane mushrooms or maitake mushrooms (hen-of-the-woods) would be tasty as well.
Red wine vinegar: You can try white wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar instead of red wine vinegar.Vegetable broth – use water instead. Taste for seasoning before serving; you may need to add another sprinkle or two of salt.
[…] nutritious and versatile root vegetable is a staple in many fall recipes, and when combined with a tangy and sweet ginger-cider reduction, its earthy sweetness is elevated […]